Online Dating Series Part 7: My personal experience

10:00

YNI4E0XAAS

This is probably the post that you have all been waiting for. Unfortunately this will also be the last post in the online dating series. However if you have any question, feel free to get in touch with me. 
I had to postpone this post twice due to overtime at work. We had two deadlines and three of my colleagues fell ill so it was really hectic. Luckily my boyfriend helped me out last week to fill the empty post. 

What has been my experience when it comes to online dating? I guess that during the course of this series small details were already revealed in each post. But I thought it would be a good idea to have my experience as a closure. 

I have been a bit hesitant in writing this post. I have been sitting here for a while now, just staring at a blank page. and not just because my boyfriend is very curious and will most definitely be reading this post. (I am sure he will not discover something he doesn't know already). 
Up until this point I have only written about beauty products. This is basically the first time I am letting you into my personal life and it is a bit weird and scary. But I do believe people can learn from other's experiences so here it is... 

I first started out on a free dating site. (Badoo) But to be honest I didn't stay on there very long. I felt like it was not what I was looking for. As mentioned before, on free sites everyone can get on there with their own motives. While I was looking for a relationship, I noticed that most of the guys on that dating site were there just to get laid or have some sort of adventure. I know that my ex-colleague's boyfriend was on there, trying to get a chick on the side from time to time. This is probably a part of the Internet that I dislike, but then again if he goes looking for someone to cheat with online, he will probably do it offline as well. 
Most guys on this site were pretty forward about their motives. They would push quite hard in getting a phone number, or they would ask about your deepest fantasy while you just started to chat. 
There was one guy I met on there, who seemed a decent guy. We starting chatting about regular things and after a while he asked me to meet up. And I did. We went to the movies together and we even had a second date. After that I didn't hear anything from him anymore. I sent him a message to ask whether I had done something wrong. He said I hadn't but that was the last time I heard from him. That's when you start wondering. Did he have another motive after all? Was he just looking for a little adventure and since  nothing had happened on that second date was it  just disappointing for him? The other possibility is that it just didn't click for him. But since he never told me anything, one can only wonder. 

So after getting tired of being asked for one night stands over and over, I left the free online dating world and went on to a paid site. (Elite Dating) This was little after I had started working at my second job and it was something me and my ex-colleague started together. I actually discovered that we were talking to the same guy at one point. I could tell she really enjoyed their conversations and that they hit off more, so I told the guy nicely that I would take a step back, which he understood. Come to think of it I don't know whether they ended up together or not on the end. 
I was actually quite disappointed for the first year that I was on there. I didn't find anyone interesting, I barely received messages really. So by the end of the year, I went to unsubscribe. Most sites will have this clause that you need to unsubscribe ten working days before your account gets renewed. So of course I am like one day late, and my account gets renewed for another year. For me this was my luck. 
With the renewal of my account, I was determined to get my money's worth of it. So I got active again and started chatting with guys. It wasn't long before I received a message for my boyfriend. We just started chatting and it was so nice to read his messages. Due to an experience he had, that he had waited too long to ask a girl to meet up, he asked me to meet quite soon. I suppose since our conversations were going really well I didn't mind. I remember I had to postpone once because something had come up, but then we met. 

After meeting my boyfriend. I would still get messages from other guys on the dating site. So I had this idea that if I cleared out my profile and simply put that I was getting to know someone I wouldn't give any false hope to other guys. The next day the dating site removed my profile. This was one month into a year subscription. I was so pissed. I wrote to the dating site about how unfair it was and how they could have ruined a "happy ending" if I had not gotten my boyfriend's number. They simply answered that because I had cleared out my profile, they considered I wasn't serious about dating anymore and they had the right to cancel it. If I wished to do so, they would make my profile active again, but all data was lost. The worst part of this, is that we lost all the conversations me and my boyfriend had through the site. I asked them whether I could at least have a copy of those, but they told me they got deleted and were lost. I don't really believe that. But there was nothing I could do about that. 

So this was August 2014, and since that a lot has happened. We started off meeting up once a week, but that quickly became twice a week. We would go out for walks, go to see things, go out for dinner. Simply spending time together and enjoying each other's company. 
Now one and a half year later a lot has changed in my life. Since last May we are living together and making our relationship stronger. And yes, we do fight from time to time. Just like regular couples do. There is just one person who has refused to like me, I bet she is jealous, his dog. She isn't too fond of me. 

Do I believe in Online dating? Yes, I found love on there. But I believe we still need to be careful. It can be a great tool especially if you have difficulties to meet someone in real life for instance because you are shy. It makes that first contact easier. It doesn't make a relationship easier. Because once you get together you still need to go through the steps of a real life relationship. Online dating doesn't guarantee your relationship to last, no dating site can make you that promise. 

Is he my Prince Charming? I think he is. Each day I love him more and more and I am a stronger woman because of him. 

Opinion of my co-blogger Rachael
My experiences of online dating has probably put me off dating for life. I've been a member of "Plenty of fish", "Ok cupid" and "Tinder".
On "Plenty of fish" I struggled to find anyone who wasn't severely overweight, bald and 50 with no education to speak off. "OK cupid" was even worse, I received an email from a guy who wanted an 'older' lady to join him and his girlfriend for a threesome. I really appreciated at the age of 28 being called an 'older' lady.
Then to "Tinder" which even though it has a bad reputation I've spoken to some nice guys, never met any of them I must say I get a bit freaked out when they push too hard to meet up or get your phone number. From all of the free sites my worst experience came from "Ok cupid". I don't know if it's just me who seems to attract odd men or if it's the sites. I have the odd flick through tinder from time to time but I've decided for me I need to meet a man in the real world. 

I hope you enjoyed reading this series as much as I had fun creating this. But now it's time to move on to a new chapter. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments